Wednesday, July 15, 2009

what I've been up to ...

If you're wondering what I've been up to ...

One of my projects this summer was to make the Jupiter Academy of Music website more professional. I've been the JAM webmaster for a number of years, and though I'm not an official web designer, I know enough to put together basic websites. Well, some competition moved into the area, and they had a big flash-y website. "They're going to put us out of business!" the JAM director histrionically told me. Something had to be done.

I knew that I'd have some spare time this summer, so I told the JAM director not to worry, that I would hone my web skills, and redo the site. Then my trusty old laptop (on the right in the photo above) began dying on my lap. The screen fell off. The power cord frayed. It would overheat and turn itself off every 20 minutes.

I was going to have to get a new computer. I had been lusting for a MAC for a long time, but could never quite justify the expense. Being on the verge of a computer meltdown, and faced with having to buy another PC (and Vista, at that), I decided it was now or never.

I went to the Apple website and ordered a MacBook Pro.

Oh man, is this baby a joy. I love it. Once in hand, I began exploring the website design software made for Macs and settled on RapidWeaver. It took me a day or so to figure out - and I still have a ways to go - but in less than 5 days I redid the JAM website.

Tell me, would you go to the competition after seeing this website?

http://jupiteracademyofmusic.com


Make sure you check out the Piano Camp page. It's my favorite.

I may make a little business out of this!

(I'm still hoping to keep the old laptop alive, since that is where Photoshop is ...)

2 comments:

  1. I checked the website you created the other day. Very impressive. You ought to make a little business out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. I'm very proud of that website. My sister tells me that small businesses all need a web presence and none of them have the time or talent to deal with making a website. So maybe there is a market to be tapped!

    ReplyDelete